Scrapped ‘The Last Of Us Part 3’ story won’t be used for HBO series

“I am not going to go past the game” The post Scrapped ‘The Last Of Us Part 3’ story won’t be used for HBO series appeared first on NME.

Apr 1, 2025 - 13:59
 0
Scrapped ‘The Last Of Us Part 3’ story won’t be used for HBO series

Pedro Pascal as Joel in 'The Last Of Us' season two.

The Last Of Us showrunner Craig Mazin has confirmed that the HBO series won’t use ideas from the scrapped Part 3 game.

The first season of HBO’s The Last Of Us adapted the plot from the original game. The second season, which is due to premiere April 13, will take heavy inspiration from The Last Of Us Part Two. Earlier this year, HBO executive Francesca Orci confirmed the show will “probably” run for four seasons in total. 

Following the success of the first season, Naughty Dog’s Neil Druckmann teased that a third game may be in the works. He also told fans that he had “an exciting concept” for the project.

“It does feel like there’s probably one more chapter to this story,” he added. In an interview earlier this year though, he revealed that Part Three had seemingly been scrapped. “I guess the only thing I would say is don’t bet on there being more of Last Of Us. This could be it,” he said.

Now, in a new interview with The Hollywood Reporter, showrunner Craig Mazin has confirmed he won’t be using Naughty Dog’s scrapped ideas for the HBO series. “I am not going to go past the game. I’ll just say that flat out,” he explained, before denying they wanted to turn it into a “cash grab”.

“I’m basically setting a decade of my rapidly dwindling life on fire to tell this story,” Mazin continued. “The show is so hard to make. It has to have an end. So I’m not going to go past. Who knows me, there might be a [Game Of Thrones prequel] Dunk And Egg The Last of Us show that happens that somebody does. But for me, the only question is: Is it going to be one more season or will it require two more? If this can happen all in one more season, great. If we feel like it makes sense to break it into two, then we will do that.”

Last month, Pedro Pascal warned fans that the new season is “fucking heartbreaking” and went on to call the showrunners “sick people”.

In other news, Riot has unveiled the tracklisting for the Arcane season two deluxe soundtrack but fans aren’t happy a beloved Twenty One Pilots song is missing.

The post Scrapped ‘The Last Of Us Part 3’ story won’t be used for HBO series appeared first on NME.