Scherer to Make Series Comeback with HRT, Ford

Fabio Scherer steps back into DTM for the first time since 2020 as part of HRT Ford Performance lineup...

Mar 31, 2025 - 15:31
 0
Scherer to Make Series Comeback with HRT, Ford

Photo: MPS Agency

Fabio Scherer will return to DTM after a five-year absence, joining Arjun Maini to form HRT Ford Performance’s driver lineup for the Blue Oval’s first factory-supported program in the series since 1989.

The 2023 24 Hours of Le Mans class winner will pilot the No. 64 Ford Mustang GT3 for the eight-round series, which kicks off at Oschersleben on April 26-27.

Scherer, who has also been named a GT3 Junior Driver with Ford as part of his new role, has one season of DTM experience under his belt.

He made his series debut with Team WRT as part of the Belgian squad’s Class One effort, recording a pair of fifth places at Zolder late in the season en route to 13th in the drivers’ standings.

Since then, Scherer has almost exclusively competed in LMP2 in the FIA World Endurance Championship, European Le Mans Series and IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship.

“I’m delighted to be back in the DTM after five years – and for Ford’s return,” Scherer said.

“It’s incredible to be racing for the iconic Ford brand and HRT. Thank you very much for this great opportunity.”

Maini, for his part, will embark on his fifth consecutive season in DTM and his first since leaving Mercedes-AMG.

He will, however, remain part of the HRT stable through the switch to Ford, having enjoyed his strongest season to date last year with a pole position at the Red Bull Ring and three podium finishes.

“I am very excited about another year in the DTM with HRT and Ford Performance,” said Maini. “We are really looking forward to the season.

“It’s a new challenge for me and a new challenge for the team. But fortunately we’ve worked very well together over the past few seasons.

“So I am very happy to continue that relationship and hopefully we can have some strong races together and be successful.”

HRT’s two-car effort will be the first time Ford has competed in DTM since 1994, when a trio of privately entered Mustangs competed with limited results.

Its last factory-backed effort dates back to 1989 with the Ford Sierra Cosworth RS500.

“Our return to DTM underscores our commitment to challenging Mustang GT3 against the top competition at the most demanding circuits around the world,” said Mark Rushbrook, Global Director of Ford Performance.

“HRT has been a tremendous partner and we are strengthening that relationship as we grow into DTM.”