Andrea Berta told the ‘statement signing’ he must make for Arsenal in his first transfer window

Andrea Berta, Arsenal’s new sporting director, attended last night’s 2-1 win over Fulham (Picture: Getty) Arsenal legend David Seaman has told Andrea Berta his must make a ‘statement signing’ in his first transfer window as the club’s new Sporting Director. Edu’s successor was officially appointed last weekend and the Italian was in attendance at the Emirates Stadium on Tuesday to watch Mikel Arteta’s side grind out a 2-1 win against Fulham. Makeshift striker Mikel Merino continued his fine run of form, scoring a fortuitous, deflected opener before Bukayo Saka marked his return from injury with a goal just seven minutes after entering the fray as a second half substitute. Berta will no doubt have noted, however, the difficulties Arsenal again encountered without a natural centre forward. Deprived of Gabriel Jesus and Kai Havertz, who both suffered long-term injuries in January, Arsenal have been left to regret their decision not to sign attacking reinforcements in January. Get personalised updates on Arsenal everyday Wake up to find news on your club in your inbox every morning with Metro’s Football Newsletter. Sign up to our newsletter and then select your team in the link we’ll send you so we can get football news tailored to you. Regardless of how they finish the season, Season believe it is imperative that Berta marks the start of his tenure by helping to arm Arteta with a recognised No.9 who can take Arsenal to the next level. He told the Seaman Says podcast with Betway: ‘Arsenal have gone from that stage where they’re getting away from celebrating being in the top four to now being contenders and now Arsenal fans want to see what’s the next step, what sort of players are we going to be able to get in. Predicting who Arsenal will sign this summer Goalkeeper: With Neto’s loan move unlikely to be turned into a permanent deal, Arsenal will undoubtedly look to sign a new No.2 to provide David Raya with more competition than he has faced this season. Teenagers Jack Porter and Tommy Setford are highly regarded but are not yet ready for a major promotion which goes some way to explaining Mikel Arteta’s interest in Espanyol’s Joan Garcia. Defenders: Arsenal fans won’t want to hear it, but with Kieran Tierney, Oleksandr Zinchenko and Jakub Kiwior all likely to depart, a new left-sided defender will be a requirement, especially given the fitness travails of Takehiro Tomiyasu and Riccardo Calafiori. Midfield: Nearly two years on from Granit Xhaka’s departure, Arsenal’s engine room still lacks the sort of balance they had in abundance when the Switzerland international was paired alongside Thomas Partey. Arsenal spent £160 million on Declan Rice and Kai Havertz but the experiment of deploying the former Chelsea man in midfield was ditched long ago. Arteta still appears to believe Rice can thrive in a more advanced role and the arrival of Martin Zubimendi, whose move to north London appears to be a matter of when, rather than if, could finally complete the puzzle. Forwards: Attacking reinforcements have been in short supply over the last couple of years and an overreliance on Bukayo Saka yielded the sort of injury many feared had been in the post for a while. A new winger, ideally one comfortable on both flanks, should represent a priority. Nico Williams is a long-term target while at centre forward Victor Gyokeres appears the most attainable and ready made solution to the No.9 conundrum that has existed throughout Arteta’s reign. James Goldman | Metro Sports Editor ‘He’s got to make a statement signing and it’s got to be a striker. That’s what everyone is looking at straight away. People will be seeing who he’s looking at, will it be Sesko or Osimhen. ‘It’s got to be a marquee signing. One that’s going to go in and do his stuff. Once he gets that settled down and sealed then the Arsenal fans will take note.’ For now, at least, Arteta will be relieved that Saka emerged from his first game in four months unscathed, especially with a Champions League showdown against Real Madrid on the horizon. ‘I think it’s a beautiful moment to see how much our people love, respect and admire Bukayo,’ Arteta said of the reception the home fans afforded their returning hero. Mikel Merino scored Arsenal’s opening goal against Fulham (Picture: Getty) Bukayo Saka scored Arsenal’s second goal against Fulham on his return from injury (Picture: Getty) ‘He’s not a surprise to any of us and I think the best example is his reaction. ‘Immediately after scoring a goal, what does he do? He goes and says thank you for all the hard work that all the sports science guys, physios and everybody involved in the recovery have done for him to be in the condition that he is. ‘I think he lifted the stadium, the energy and it’s great to have him back.’ He added: ‘He was very positive. I think the first [game] is always the one, how am I

Apr 2, 2025 - 10:04
 0
Andrea Berta told the ‘statement signing’ he must make for Arsenal in his first transfer window
LONDON, ENGLAND - APRIL 01: Andrea Berta, Sporting Director of Arsenal (R), speaks to Richard Garlick, Managing Director of Arsenal (L), in the stand prior to the Premier League match between Arsenal FC and Fulham FC at Emirates Stadium on April 01, 2025 in London, England. (Photo by David Price/Arsenal FC via Getty Images)
Andrea Berta, Arsenal’s new sporting director, attended last night’s 2-1 win over Fulham (Picture: Getty)

Arsenal legend David Seaman has told Andrea Berta his must make a ‘statement signing’ in his first transfer window as the club’s new Sporting Director.

Edu’s successor was officially appointed last weekend and the Italian was in attendance at the Emirates Stadium on Tuesday to watch Mikel Arteta’s side grind out a 2-1 win against Fulham.

Makeshift striker Mikel Merino continued his fine run of form, scoring a fortuitous, deflected opener before Bukayo Saka marked his return from injury with a goal just seven minutes after entering the fray as a second half substitute.

Berta will no doubt have noted, however, the difficulties Arsenal again encountered without a natural centre forward.

Deprived of Gabriel Jesus and Kai Havertz, who both suffered long-term injuries in January, Arsenal have been left to regret their decision not to sign attacking reinforcements in January.

Get personalised updates on Arsenal everyday

Wake up to find news on your club in your inbox every morning with Metro’s Football Newsletter.

Sign up to our newsletter and then select your team in the link we’ll send you so we can get football news tailored to you.

Regardless of how they finish the season, Season believe it is imperative that Berta marks the start of his tenure by helping to arm Arteta with a recognised No.9 who can take Arsenal to the next level.

He told the Seaman Says podcast with Betway: ‘Arsenal have gone from that stage where they’re getting away from celebrating being in the top four to now being contenders and now Arsenal fans want to see what’s the next step, what sort of players are we going to be able to get in.

Predicting who Arsenal will sign this summer

Goalkeeper: With Neto’s loan move unlikely to be turned into a permanent deal, Arsenal will undoubtedly look to sign a new No.2 to provide David Raya with more competition than he has faced this season. Teenagers Jack Porter and Tommy Setford are highly regarded but are not yet ready for a major promotion which goes some way to explaining Mikel Arteta’s interest in Espanyol’s Joan Garcia.

Defenders: Arsenal fans won’t want to hear it, but with Kieran Tierney, Oleksandr Zinchenko and Jakub Kiwior all likely to depart, a new left-sided defender will be a requirement, especially given the fitness travails of Takehiro Tomiyasu and Riccardo Calafiori.

Midfield: Nearly two years on from Granit Xhaka’s departure, Arsenal’s engine room still lacks the sort of balance they had in abundance when the Switzerland international was paired alongside Thomas Partey. Arsenal spent £160 million on Declan Rice and Kai Havertz but the experiment of deploying the former Chelsea man in midfield was ditched long ago. Arteta still appears to believe Rice can thrive in a more advanced role and the arrival of Martin Zubimendi, whose move to north London appears to be a matter of when, rather than if, could finally complete the puzzle.

Forwards: Attacking reinforcements have been in short supply over the last couple of years and an overreliance on Bukayo Saka yielded the sort of injury many feared had been in the post for a while. A new winger, ideally one comfortable on both flanks, should represent a priority. Nico Williams is a long-term target while at centre forward Victor Gyokeres appears the most attainable and ready made solution to the No.9 conundrum that has existed throughout Arteta’s reign.

James Goldman | Metro Sports Editor

‘He’s got to make a statement signing and it’s got to be a striker. That’s what everyone is looking at straight away. People will be seeing who he’s looking at, will it be Sesko or Osimhen.

‘It’s got to be a marquee signing. One that’s going to go in and do his stuff. Once he gets that settled down and sealed then the Arsenal fans will take note.’

For now, at least, Arteta will be relieved that Saka emerged from his first game in four months unscathed, especially with a Champions League showdown against Real Madrid on the horizon.

‘I think it’s a beautiful moment to see how much our people love, respect and admire Bukayo,’ Arteta said of the reception the home fans afforded their returning hero.

LONDON, ENGLAND - APRIL 01: Mikel Merino of Arsenal celebrates scoring his team's first goal during the Premier League match between Arsenal FC and Fulham FC at Emirates Stadium on April 01, 2025 in London, England. (Photo by Stuart MacFarlane/Arsenal FC via Getty Images)
Mikel Merino scored Arsenal’s opening goal against Fulham (Picture: Getty)
LONDON, ENGLAND - APRIL 1: Bukayo Saka of Arsenal celebrates after scoring a goal during the Premier League match between Arsenal FC and Fulham FC at Emirates Stadium on April 1, 2025 in London, England. (Photo by Sebastian Frej/MB Media/Getty Images)
Bukayo Saka scored Arsenal’s second goal against Fulham on his return from injury (Picture: Getty)

‘He’s not a surprise to any of us and I think the best example is his reaction.

‘Immediately after scoring a goal, what does he do? He goes and says thank you for all the hard work that all the sports science guys, physios and everybody involved in the recovery have done for him to be in the condition that he is.

‘I think he lifted the stadium, the energy and it’s great to have him back.’

He added: ‘He was very positive. I think the first [game] is always the one, how am I going to feel? Because now I have a different opposition in front of me, different demands and pressure.

‘He dealt with it really well and the downside to that is Gabi and Jurrien, we don’t know how they’re going to be. We’ll be assessing them tomorrow and understand better how we are with those two.’